Tuesday, June 22, 2010

I was never a big fan of mayonnaise. It always seemed a bit to greasy and plastic tasting for me to really enjoy it.

However, I've been experimenting with the recipe Sally Fallon gives in "Nourishing Traditions" and I really have fallen in love with homemade mayonnaise! I was mixing up another batch tonight and I took a few pictures for y'all.



You'll start with eggs. I used 2 whole eggs and 2 egg yolks. Dump them in a blender.



Now add 2 teaspoons of natural mustard.



The juice of 1 lemon.



Now comes the distinctive feature of the Sally Fallon recipe. She has you add whey to it. This will make your mayonnaise last up to 6 weeks in the fridge whereas without whey it would only last a few days. It also gets some lovely fermintation going which your digestive system will thank you for!

If you don't have whey, never dis-pare, it's easy to make yourself. Get some plain, natural, live culture yogurt (Seven Stars is a great brand). Line a strainer with one layer of fine cotton. I use muslin from JoAnns. Place the strainer over a bowl and pour your yogurt into it. Give it a few hours and you'll have thick, creamy yogurt in the strainer and nice yellow whey in the bowl!

I added 2 'fat' Tablespoons.



You can never go wrong with garlic, so throw in a clove. But, don't add 2 or it will be over powering. ;)



A 1/4 teaspoon of Paprika. (Did I mention that I really played around with Sally's recipe?!)



1/2 teaspoon Sea Salt.



I also added 2 teaspoons of onion powder, but I did not get a picture of that!
Now, blend this all for about 30 seconds, until everything is nicely combined and the garlic is thoroughly ground up.

Measure out your oil. Sally calls for extra virgin Olive Oil. I found that wayyy to over powering, so I use extra light Olive Oil. You'll want around 1 & 2/3 cups of oil.



Now, before you start adding it to the eggs, turn the blender back on. Pour the oil into the blending eggs slowly, letting it thoroughly incorporate. It will get very thick and by the last few teaspoons it won't seem to be mixing at all.



Once all the oil is added put in into a glass jar, cover and let sit out at room temperature for about 7 hours. I leave mine out over night unless it's really warm outside. This allows the whey to begin it's preservative actions. Once it's finished sitting out, pop it into the fridge and store it there.



Voila! Perfect, flavorful and nutritious mayonnaise!

1 comment: